Workshop dates: April 10-15, 2022
Application deadline: March 17, 2022
The Alliance for Science (AfS), in partnership with the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and the Open Forum for Agriculture Biotechnology (OFAB), will conduct a Communicating Gene Editing workshop on April 10-15, 2022 at Lake Naivasha Resort.
The workshop seeks to empower participants with knowledge about the science of gene editing and its regulation, as well as effective communications tools.
Who can apply:
- Scientists from Kenya who are conducting research using gene editing, particularly those who have previously taken part in similar AfS training
- Science writers/journalists from Kenya
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. biotechnology students
- Female scientists and journalists are particularly encouraged to apply
- Members of the same research project are encouraged to apply as a group (maximum four people per group)
- Provide participants with a better understanding and appreciation of gene editing technology
- Build capacity on communicating science with lay audiences
- Address issues such as public and stakeholder engagement, media relations, scientific language complexity, and accountability in communication
- Understand regulatory opportunities and challenges surrounding the science and show how the public can contribute to the policy-making process
Scientists will be paired with journalists to bridge the gap between science and the public. Winning activity plans will be awarded $500 each for implementation (maximum four winners).
Formation of a Kenya gene editing sub-coalition, which will become part of the wider Africa gene editing coalition.
Format of training:
The workshop will be held in person over four consecutive days and culminate in a visit to IITA’s gene-editing facility at the BecA/ILRI Hub in Uthiru, Nairobi, Kenya on Friday, April 15
To apply, fill out this form by March 17th, 2022. Applicants must:
- Commit to attend all five days
- Commit to undertake individual and group activities, as well as course and post-course assignments
- Complete any pre-course readings and assignments.
For more information regarding this workshop, please contact email@example.com.