Three concurrent meetings are scheduled for Nov. 17-29, 2018 in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. They are referred to as the “UN Biodiversity Conference 2018” or “COPMOP2018” and comprise:
- Ninth meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety (MOP9)
- Fourteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP14)
- Third meeting of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing.
The Cornell Alliance for Science developed an opening statement at the proceedings.
We also developed position statements on key issues of discussion:
- Synthetic biology
- Public awareness, education and participation
- Risk assessment and risk management
- Effectiveness of the Cartagena Biosafety Protocol
Our partners also developed position papers: